The Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence Mr. Alan Shatter, T.D. announced today that he had secured Government approval for the general scheme of a Mediation Bill which was published Thursday 1 March, 2012. The Minister is asking the Joint Oireachtas Committee for Justice, Defence and Equality to revert to him no later than the 1 June next with any views the committee may have.
The Minister said “The general objective of the Bill is to promote mediation as a viable, effective and efficient alternative to court proceedings thereby reducing legal costs, speeding up the resolution of disputes and relieving the stress involved in court proceedings. I am anxious to ensure that individuals and companies engaged in a dispute regard resolution of their dispute through mediation as preferable to court litigation. The Bill seeks to integrate mediation into the civil justice system as a mainstream alternative to court proceedings.”
CPD Mediation Training Course
This is a major development in the civil justice system and you now have a great opportunity to attend this CPD course (6 CPD hrs – €215) and get an understanding of how Mediation and specifically the Mediation Bill will affect you in every day practice.
This course covers the practical aspects of Mediation for Solicitors / Barristers and is designed to deal with the following;
- Current Mediation Legislation including existing SI’s.
- The proposed Mediation Bill 2012
- The practical aspects for Lawyers when considering Mediation as a means of resolving client issues.
- How to go about suggesting Mediation to clients and professionals representing the other parties.
- How to approach a Mediation session when directed by the court, and avoid the possibility of cost sanctions.
- How to prepare for it and how to effectively represent your client throughout the process.
- How to act in your client’s best interests while also signing up to a process designed to resolve/settle the issues.
- Provide an opportunity to be part of 2 role-play mediations.
The module runs is 2 parts, with the first part dealing with current and proposed legislation. The second part focuses on the mediation process and how mediation will impact on your practice. The program we have devised runs over 5:30 hours starting at 12:30pm and running till 6:00pm with a ½ hr break. Due to the interactive nature of the Training Course and the role-play involving 2 mediations we have to limit the numbers and accordingly we have to operate on a “first come first served” basis.
There is a lot of interest in this course, so to avoid disappointment, and find out how the Mediation Bill 2012 will effect you please BOOK NOW
If you wish to discuss the course further you can call me on 087-2268394
More detail on this course is available by visiting the link below:
This is what some of our participants have been saying about the course:
“Efficent course and good value for insight into the mediation process”
– Owen Hickey SC – Barrister-at-Law Senior Counsel
“Recommend this short concise course to anyone advising clients going into mediation”
– Sinead Farrelly – Early & Baldwin
“Well worth attending and useful in everyday practice”
– Kate Craig – Partner, PJ Byrne & Co
“Very effective at imparting mediation skills, discovering what mediation means as a process and learned a lot about the process”
– Sarah Scally – (Solicitor) Sarah R Scally & Co.
“A very Interesting introduction to Mediation, Mindsets & the lawyer’s role within the process” – Kellie Butler BL – Barrister-at-Law
“I really enjoyed this course & gained a lot from it that will be very beneficial in practice as a barrister”
– Catherine McLoone BL – Barrister-at-Law
“I very much enjoyed today’s course which was extremely helpful and the tips I picked up will be of great use in my practice”
– Gerard Yelverton – Yelverton & Co
“Well worth the time and Effort”
– Gerard O’Herlihy – Partner, Nolan Farrell & Goff
“This is a very practical course and essential given the impending changes in this area”
– Jennifer Maher – Solicitor
91% of participants gave the Training Course 8 out of 10 or higher as their general impression & satisfaction having completed the course. 41% gave it 10 out of 10, and results were similar when asked how much impact this training has had on their approach to Mediation.
Cost: 215 Euros
CPD: 6hrs – This covers both General and Management/Personal Development CPD Hours
|Apr 12th 2012 – Thur||Dublin||Maldron Hotel – Smithfield|
|May 10th 2012 – Thur||Dublin||Maldron Hotel – Smithfield|
|Jun 13th 2012 – Wed||Dublin||Maldron Hotel – Smithfield|
We intend to run this program in Cork & Limerick (dates & venue to be decided), so if you wish to attend please email firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest.
More detail on Mediate Ireland is available on the website at www.mediateireland.com